Monday, November 1, 2010

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR

I should share what kind of setup I'm using and what I look for on a day-to-day basis. As I make more posts, I'll add more details and screenshots. I start with a 1-minute candlestick chart and add some shorter-term and longer-term moving averages. I also add a 15-period Bollinger band to help show volatility and to frame price action. I then mark up my charts with longer-term support and resistance levels.

I'm looking for setups with the trend only. I may jump on a trend early if I believe it has just changed, but I avoid taking counter-trend trades (picking exact tops/bottoms). I wait for the moving averages to come together and then separate in the direction of the trend. I jump on board when this separation occurs. This method follows the flow of orders and if there is evidence of trapped retail traders picking a top/bottom then it usually adds to the surge of order flow. I try to avoid making longer-term predictions--I'm really just scalping the initial reaction of "has the trend ended? maybe...oh no, it hasn't!" and then get out. Going along with this surge of order flow helps me use a very small stop loss, thereby using higher leverage with low capital risk per position.

No comments:

Post a Comment